Thursday, April 10, 2008

Next Stop, Haaaaaarvard Square!

Here's a post from Laura, harkening back to one of our most popular assignments, "Write a Haiku about Pirates Stealing your Lunch."

Ordinary day
Listening to my Ipod
On my way to work.

Stuffed like a sardine
In this tin can subway car
Between two big dudes.

I crank up the sound
Groove out to some old Motown
To drown out the crowd

In my lap rests lunch:
A sandwich of ham and cheese
And a pudding snack.

Painstakingly packed
This morning while I tuned in
To Ellen’s dance moves.

Suddenly I see
Dude 1 looking down at me
Ogling my lunch.

I pretend all’s well
But I can’t avoid his stare.
“Whatcha got there, hmm?”

“Oh, this? It’s nothing.
Just some two-day-old cold cuts,”
I say nervously.

I notice he has
A parrot on his shoulder.
My god a pirate!

As we pull into
The next stop, he drawls “Ay Mate,
This be Harrrrrrrvard Square.”

He gets up, walks out
Leaving me in peace at last.
I breathe a heavy sigh.

Just as the doors close
His parrot swoops back in and
Deftly grabs my lunch.

Before I know what’s what
The parrot and his owner
Are reunited.

They slip from my view
Just beyond the plexiglass.
Enjoy lunch, you fiends!

2 comments:

The No Talent Hacks said...

OMG, this is hilarious!!! Haarrrrrrvard square!! And I think every haiku should mention pudding snacks. Brilliant!!
:-) Marcy

The No Talent Hacks said...

You never suspect the parrot and then WHAM! They nab your lunch. How many times has that happened to me! Damn Parrots. WELL WRITTEN! - Brihac